We Don't Really Need This

April 5th, 2009 - New York, NY

Let me start off by saying that the world doesn’t need another sports blog.

So why write one?

Because sports effects us as much as anything else in life. Many of our best memories come back to sports, whether it’s meeting a childhood hero for the first time, going to the Pro Football Hall of Fame with your father, playing in little league, or the excitement of a first trip to the stadium.

It’s worth writing this because sports taps into our most visceral human emotions. Sports elicit the same thing in us today that it did to the ancient Romans in the coliseum. It also taps into what can make a grown man act like an 8-year old, and make and 8-year old grow up too fast.

I’m writing because sports unites us. It transcends politics or economics and has the rare ability to make people re-evaluate right and wrong. It can unify 80,000 people because they are all trying to will a ball into a hoop, a puck into a net or a man to be .00001th of second faster. And in that unity friendships are born.

I’m writing this because sports affects our culture. I’m writing this because I love sports.

And at times I hate sports. But talking about it makes me feel better.

So let the conversation begin. I hope it doesn’t suck.

Comments

  1. Features I'd like to see:

    1) Coverage leading up to 2010 World Cup- particularly as it relates to the US Squad.

    2) Coverage leading up to 2010 Vancouver Winter Games, specifically focusing on the US Alpine and Freestyle teams.

    3) Coverage of the much ignored, but endlessly fascinating world of competitive offshore Sailboats.

    I hereby volunteer to contribute on these subjects.

    For a minor equity stake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 isn't a problem. #2 is dependent on Bode Miller. As far as #3, it depends on whether Larry Ellison will give me the interview.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts